This Carrot and Apple cake is the healthiest one around, with a low fat glaze it is the perfect tea time treat!
I know that many of you are with me on this, Lord knows I might attempt a diet but I ain’t giving up cake for love nor money.
In light of this ongoing problem in my life (that can be outlined in the simple equation cake + Alice = chub), I have created this amazing adaptation on a carrot cake that will hopefully mean I don’t have to unbutton my jeans after one slice.
This cake is refined sugar free, low fat, dairy free, and wholemeal. With some extra tweaking could be gluten free and vegan).
What you’re going to need to make this carrot and apple cake is:
- 90g of Dates
- 50g of Sultanas
- 100g of Wholemeal flour
- 1 egg
- 60ml of Vegetable Oil (Coconut and Rapeseed are the best)
- 100g of carrot and apple grated (I ended up with 30g of carrot and 70g of apple but split this as it suits you)
- 1.5 Teaspoons of mixed spice
- 3/4 of a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda.
- 1 Clementine
- 1 teaspoon of agave or stevia (as you wish)
How to make the carrot and apple cake:
- First things first, blitz your dates until they form a smooth paste, this will require about 1 tablespoon of water!
- Then mix the date smash with the egg and oil.
- Sieve in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spice into the egg mixture slowly.
- Finally, fold in the grated carrot and apple, along with the sultanas.
- Place into a lined baking tin (I used a small loaf pan but any tin of about 10x10cm will be perfect.
- Place into the over at 170c for 25 mins
- Whilst it cooks juice the clementine and add the sugar of your choice.
- Just as the cake comes out the oven (when a skewer is clean and it is golden) prick the cake all over. Drizzle over the clementine mix and leave to cool.
- Slice and enjoy!